October! Yes, it’s almost here. However, we’re going to be closed for the first few days of it.
- Sat 30 Sept to Tuesday 03 Oct: closed! Fixing things.
- Wed 04 Oct: 09:30 to 14:00 at Burde Beans
- Thur 05 Oct: 09:30 to 14:30 at West Coast General Hospital. (MAYBE!) depends if they move the MRI truck or not.
- Fri 06 Oct: 09:30 to 14:00 at Burde Beans.
- Saturday 07 Oct: 10:00 to 14:00 just to see if people want crêpes on weekends…
This is a tentative schedule subject to change as we get a better grip on what’s up next week.
The MRI truck schedule has unexpectedly changed again, and it looks like they’ll be at the hospital until some time in October. Whereas this is amazingly good news for people who need the benefits of an MRI, lovers of crêpes at the hospital will need to duck down to Burde Beans for their fix. It’s a 4 minute drive, at most. Just head down Redford to Anderson, turn left, go 2 blocks. There you are, we’re on the right. See you there!
Schedule for 23 to 29 September is as follows, subject to change. Location is still Burde Beans all week as no alternatives have been arranged yet. Blame the management.
- Sat/Sun 23-24 Sept: CLOSED. Meetings and trailer needs a bit of work.
- Monday 25 Sept: 09:30 to 14:00 and (maybe) 18:00 to 20:00. Will close earlier if the jam session folks aren’t hungry.
- Tuesday 26 Sept: 09:30 to 14:00
- Wednesday 27 Sept: 09:30 to 14:00
- Thursday 28 Sept: 09:30 to 14:00
- Friday 29 Sept: 09:30 to 14:00
That’s it really. After this week I’ll have a better idea of which weekdays I’ll be closing, and I’ll try to open at least one day during the weekend.
At the moment we’ll be at Burde Beans all week, since the hospital has the MRI truck.
- Mon: 09:30 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 20:30
- Tues: closed
- Wed: 09:30 to 14:00
- Thur: 09:30 to 14:00
- Fri: 09:30 to 14:00
We’ll try to open earlier, but can only guarantee 09:30. If people are coming by we’ll stay open later. Closed Tuesday as I have to go deal in person with bureaucracy in another city.
- Sat, Sun (16,17 Sept) closed. Won’t be doing Toy Run fpr various reasons.
- Monday to Friday (18 to 22 Sept) 09:00 to 14:00 ish at Burde Beans. Subject to change.
- Maybe open Thurs/Fri evening, still t.b.d.
That’s it really. Any requests?
The traditional seasoning for cast iron surfaces in Bretagne is called “lardigel”. It is a mix of rendered pig lard and egg yolk. When carefully heated, this transforms into a polymerized non-stick surface that is quite durable. This has worked for hundreds of years. Yes, quite literally.
For the past three years I have tried to cater to the vegan and hardcore vegetarian clients by using the “other” seasoning, vegetable oil. Not as durable, but works for some. Unfortunately, it’s not working for me. I’m having to re-season my billig every 100-200 crêpes, instead of every 1000-2000 that lardigel offers. This extra workload is proving to be too much.
So as of the next seasoning (today or tomorrow), I’ll be going back to lardigel as my cast iron seasoning product of choice. I apologize to those who find this objectionable, but I really can’t afford to do it any other way any more.
In scheduling news, we’re open today (Thursday) until 12:30 then reopening from 17:30 to 20:00. Same again on Friday. Saturday we might be at the Glenwood centre for the Toy Run, but having trouble connecting with the organizers. More later.
Quiet, but a few people dropped by for their fix. We’ll be closing at 12:30 (ish), then open again at 17:30 (maybe a bit earlier?). Same again tomorrow and Friday.
We’re at Burde Beans on Burde St all week.
OK, decisions made (mostly). I’ve decided to split the opening times so that I can cater to the “late breakfast / lunch” crowd (hopefully), and to the “let’s try one of those wonderful galette for dinner” crowd.
The schedule is, as always, subject to change. Check blog/facebook/twitter or just text/call if you’re thinking of heading down:
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 13,14,15 September:
- Burde Beans. 09:00 to 12:30, and 17:30 to 20:00
- Saturday: to be determined. Maybe Toy Run if something can be arranged. Otherwise, just 09:00 to 12:30 at Burde Beans
- Sunday: 09:00 to 12:30 at Burde Beans. Probably.
- Monday/Tuesday: closed again.
So now you know where to get your crêpes and galette fix.
So the Alberni Fall Fair was an unqualified success. Lots of people got to try my food, lots of positive comments (thanks!), and got to meet lots of really cool people. Whose names I’ve already forgotten, sorry! But they were great people! I hope to be back next year.
Today (Monday) and Tuesday I am CLOSED. I need a couple of days to recover from the fair.
The schedule for the upcoming week is unsettled. I won’t be at the hospital since the MRI truck is in town. Also, they’ve changed the schedule so that it’s now parked at the hospital for three weeks at a time. It’s great for Port Alberni, not so great for crêpe fans. We’ve been looking at the grounds for an alternative location, but there’s really no room anywhere else at all level for me up there. Looks like I might just have to not be there for three weeks at a time.
I’m kinda-sorta planning to open at Burde Beans on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Hours still to be determined. I’ve also been asked to park the rig at other locations, so need to organize that. Overall, the schedule hasn’t been set yet, but I *will* be open Wednesday at Burde Beans. Just check back here for times.
Will post more when I know more. Until then, thanks again to everyone who came by and enjoyed my offerings!
So we opened 10 minutes early today. No disasters. No stress. No major setbacks. Open until 23h00 today.
Where are you? You should be at the fair!
I was already behind schedule. Then the power for my trailer blew while I was gone and I had to replace the few items I had in there. I was shopping for the rest when it happened. So that put me way behind.
I’ll open when I open. No idea when.