September only being 3 days away at this point.
Seems the “tentatively open” became “no way in hell” due to some issues with the old house in Nanaimo. I guess it discovered we were leaving, so it’s started getting cranky. Really, really cranky. I know I shouldn’t anthropomorphise a house, but really, this is getting ridiculous!
The knock-on effect is that I’m going to have to work this week at getting the new house ready to accept us and the pets, instead of making delicious crêpes and galettes. At least until Friday, by which time I hope to have the house mostly ready and will be able to get back to my real work!
So we’re again on a minimal schedule as we try to finish 90% of the “official” move this coming weekend! (Eek!). No more delays allowed, even after a few lost days due to illness. (Eek x 2 !).
- Thursday 24 Aug: 10:30 to 14:30 at West Coast General Hospital.
- Fri, Sat, Sun: probably closed.
- TENTATIVE: Monday, Tuesday, 28 & 29 Aug: 09:00 to 13:00 at Burde Beans. Check here for updates.
- Wednesday: t.b.d.
- Thursday 31 Aug: closed since the MRI truck will be parked at the hospital.
Upcoming event: Alberni Fall Fair.
That’s the plan. We’ll see if the plan survives contact with reality.
Due to medical issues at home I’m unfortunately going to have to stay closed today and possibly Friday.
More news later.
Had a great time at 5 Acre Shaker. Hope the folks who discovered my food come find me.
Unfortunately, this week that won’t be easy. Outside factors mean I have to close much of the week if I want to move to Port before the end of the month. So the schedule is:
- Thursday: 10:30 to 14:30 (ish) at West Coast General Hospital
- Friday: 10:00 to ??? at Burde Beans. Might do a split shift, see what the evening crowd is like.
- Saturday: tentatively closed. I think we might be moving, if all goes well.
- Sunday, Monday: closed.
Schedule update later. First, the specials. I’ve scored some more excellent lox (cold smoked salmon), so the spinach and goat cheese with lox is back on special! Also, I raided Port Alberni’s own Vancouver Islands Blues so the sweets special will include fresh organic blueberries and whipped cream. Maybe with chocolate, still to be determined.
Schedule update: won’t be opening until 10:30 at Burde Beans on Tuesday since Ilve got some appointments to get the kitchen done that morning.
That is all. See you later!
It’s going to be an interestingly busy week.
- Tuesday, 08 Aug: 10:00 to 15:00 at Burde Beans.
- Wednesday, 09 Aug: 10:00 to 15:00 at Burde Beans.
- Thursday, 10 Aug: 10:30 to 14:30 (ish. Maybe 15:00) at West Coast General Hospital
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 11-13 Auguest: EVENT: 5 Acre Shaker at McLean’s Mill!
- Will try for 11:00 (ish) to 18:00 (ish) each day
- We’ll be one of several food vendors. I’ll be opening earlier, but also closing earlier than the others due to lack of staff. I’ll try to keep going as long as I can though.
- Monday 14 August: closed
tl;dr: closing early today & Thursday, then closed until Tuesday.
On a personal note, we’re trying to move to Port Alberni. The house we bought just needed two things done: pet enclosure in the back, and a new kitchen. Quick, right?
The people who built the house cheaped out when building the existing kitchen. Not just cheap, but stupid in ways that defy belief. If I find out it was done by a “professional” I will certainly out them!
So we’re having to fix not just bad design, but incompetent installation. That’s taking a lot more time than anticipated. It also means that there’s more stuff I need to do, and it’s going to conflict with trying to keep Bistro Breizh open. Sadly, moving is the priority, so I’ve decided to close early today at Burde Beans and tomorrow at the hospital (about 13:30 sharp), and not open at all on Friday and Saturday. This should be balanced out by being able to open longer hours once we’re more comfortably ensconced here in Port Alberni.
So apologies to those who can’t make it before 13:30 or were planning to visit us later this week. Hopefully catch you next time.